A record crowd (well, it sure felt like the biggest we ever had) joined us on Saturday morning, Nov. 19, for the 17th annual Great Los Angeles Walk. This year, we returned to West Adams for the first time since 2009, starting out at the Exposition Park rose garden fountain.
After a few words, and a few words, we were off. And this year, the map was key as we explored side streets and made several detours as we walked down Adams, then transfered to Washington Blvd. in Culver City and headed the rest of the way to the ocean. Along the way, we saw a fire erupt (and at least one brave Walk-er went up to the small building to make sure no one was inside), we saw the Velaslavasay Panorama and its interesting exhibit; ate a ton of amazing L.A. food and explained ourselves to several curious passersby.
From Exposition Park, we passed by the Shrine Auditorium, Felix Chevrolet neon sign and Auto Club of SoCal (1924). We walked a bit north of Adams to see the Thomas Stinson Mansion (1901), then walked by and peeked in the St. Vincent de Paul Church (1923-1925), which was holding a mass baptism. Turning on Adams, we saw Doheny Mansion (1901), Stearns/Dockweiler Mansion (1900), Burkhalter Residence (1895) and Seaman House (1888). It was on to walk by Second Church of Christ Scientist (1907) and Casa de Rosas/Sunshine Mission (1893). Then we turned down Hoover to look at two gems: Cockins House (1894) and Salisbury House (1891). We headed north on Magnolia to see Miller and Herriott House (1887— oldest surviving house in the neighborhood) and Ecung-Ibbetson House and then walked to the Velaslavasay Panorama, which opened its doors to the Great Los Angeles Walk to explore its attractions.
Back on the path, we saw Roger Williams Baptist Church (1930-1934), detoured down Menlo Avenue National Register Historic District and Van Buren Place Historic District. We saw First African Methodist Episcopal Church and Golden State Mutual Insurance Co. building, now SCLARC (1949) and Britt Mansion (LA84 Foundation) (1910). It was on to the Six Feet Under House/Moncado Mansion and South Seas House (1902), where we visited inside and even used the restroom.
Other sites included the Mrs. Susan Wilshire Residence (1912), The Gray Residence (1909), Lycurgus Lindsay Mansion/Our Lady of Bright Mountain Polish Parish (1905), Wilfandel Club/Percy Clark Mansion (1912), Secundo Guasti Villa/Busby Berkeley Estate/Peace Awareness Labyrinth and Gardens (1910), MacGowan Mansion (1912), Briggs Residence/Mother-In-Law House, Denker Estate (1912), Dryden Residence (1913) and “Church Row," leading to McCarty Memorial Christian Church (1932).
We stoped for lunch at several spots, including official partner Bee Taqueria (which offered a free chicken taco with the purchase of two other tacos). Then it was on to Culver City, including the Helms Bakery District, Culver Studios Mansion, Culver Hotel (1924) and Kirk Douglas Theatre/Culver Theatre (1946). We kept walking down Washington Blvd., eventually making it to Venice (including the Venice canals). And we ended at Fat Sal’s Venice Beach, which offered free drinks for any Great Los Angeles Walk participant who bought a sandwich.
Thanks to everyone who made all of the trek, some of it, or even just helped give rides to their friends. Check out The Great Los Angeles Walk's Instagram feed for more pics, and the hashtags #glaw and #greatlawalk for more as well. Also you can find pics in which we were tagged here or here.
But here are just a few highlights from the day:
And we're off!
Felix Chevrolet (neon sign) — 3330 S. Figueroa
St. Vincent de Paul Church (1923-1925) — 601 W. Adams
Thomas Stinson Mansion (1901) — 2421 S. Figueroa
Second Church of Christ Scientist (1907) — 948 W. Adams
Cockins House (1894) — 2653 S. Hoover
Miller and Herriott House (1887— oldest surviving house in the neighborhood) — 1163 W. 27th (at Magnolia)
Big Walker! The most appropriate license plate ever!
The Velaslavasay Panorama — 1122 W. 24th St., at the Union Theater / panoramaonview.com
Inside the panorama
Music on the Walk!
Fire trucks on the way.
I often think of the Great Los Angeles Walk as our official kickoff of the holiday season.
Maria and I at the West Adams marker
Golden State Mutual Insurance Co. building, now SCLARC (1949) —
1999 W. Adams at Western. Designed by Paul R. Williams, featuring wo
murals that depict 300 years of African American history in California
(from 1527 to 1949).
Britt Mansion (LA84 Foundation) (1910) — 2141 W. Adams
Six Feet Under House/Moncado Mansion — 2302 W. 25th Street at
Arlington (now the Filipino Federation of America and may be open to
South Seas House (1902) — 2301 W. 24th at Arlington (Now owned by the city and open to visit starting at 10 a.m.)
McCarty Memorial Christian Church (1932) — 4101 W. Adams at 11th Ave.
One of the couples that first met on the Great Los Angeles Walk!
Tacos at Bee Taqueria
Helms Bakery District — 8745 Washington Blvd.
Culver Studios Mansion — 9336 Washington Blvd.
Venice beach sunset!
Some of the Walkers celebrate at Fat Sal's Venice Beach